The Body School is a series of lectures/practices designed to potentiate your health, wellness & body expertise. All are welcome. There is no pre-req to studying here, other than excitement to learn and an open mind.
The Story of Breath is a ten-part course in the art and science of why our breath matters so much to our mental health and physical well-being.
Each two-hour segment included a lesson in the respiratory system and typically a pranayama set to compliment the discussion.
- What is in our air?
- The Kosha theory in parallel with the layers of the atmosphere
- The Respiratory System 101
- Basic pranayama practices
- The Nervous System: What is the ANS, the PNS and SNS
- Review of the diaphragm
- Why we should know about the vagus nerve
- The Polyvagal theory in brief
- A bit into chronic stress, PTSD and "shutdown"
- Luminaries of yoga: BKS Iyengar
- The Gita and Sutras on pranayama
- What is Kundalini?
- Brief anatomy on accessory muscles of respiration
- Brief energy anatomy of pranayama
- The "Prana Vayus"
- Joe Dispenza on pranayama
- Pranayama & dis-ease working with cancer rehab, cystic fibrosis
- Sleep apnea and touching upon James Nestor's book "Breath"
- My personal story of "why" pranayama
- The symbolism of breath in 2020: Covid, George Floyd
- We get into a bit of science: The basics of what is in the air?
- The Breathosphere and the Atmosphere vs The Kosha Theory of Energy Anatomy
- What happens on the inhale and the exhale...
- Today is robust in conversation around the human nervous system. If you're new to breath practices, "nerve cleansing" is a term referenced throughout much of yogic literature (old and new). Pranayama can help or hinder us depending upon where we're at emotionally or physically:...
- Q & A to start
- We BEGIN with a 30 minute go-to breath set I teach all the time
- Luminaries: we look at what the Wim Hof method is all about and watch a 7 min video of him talk
- The accessory muscles (in brief) for respiration
- Depression, anxiety and pranayama