The Body School is a series of lectures/practices designed to potentiate your health, wellness & body expertise. All are welcome. There is no pre-req to studying here, other than excitement to learn and an open mind.
The Story of Breath is a ten-part course in the art and science of why our breath matters so much to our mental health and physical well-being.
Each two-hour segment included a lesson in the respiratory system and typically a pranayama set to compliment the discussion.
- What is in our air?
- The Kosha theory in parallel with the layers of the atmosphere
- The Respiratory System 101
- Basic pranayama practices
- The Nervous System: What is the ANS, the PNS and SNS
- Review of the diaphragm
- Why we should know about the vagus nerve
- The Polyvagal theory in brief
- A bit into chronic stress, PTSD and "shutdown"
- Luminaries of yoga: BKS Iyengar
- The Gita and Sutras on pranayama
- What is Kundalini?
- Brief anatomy on accessory muscles of respiration
- Brief energy anatomy of pranayama
- The "Prana Vayus"
- Joe Dispenza on pranayama
- Pranayama & dis-ease working with cancer rehab, cystic fibrosis
- Sleep apnea and touching upon James Nestor's book "Breath"